India is an agricultural economy, which means most of India’s GDP depends on farm growth and production. … Most of the Indian agricultural land is irrigated by the southwest monsoon. Crops such as wheat, rice, pulses, which are a staple in Indian diets, need heavy rainfalls to grow.
Why is agriculture in India still dependent on rainfall?
The seasonal monsoon winds, blowing from the south-west and the north-east directions, are moisture-laden and bring in the yearly monsoon rains. These rains are critical to almost 60% of India’s rain-fed agriculture and the timely arrival and adequacy of monsoon winds plays a vital role in our farming practices.
How does monsoon affect Indian economy?
Monsoons are the lifeblood of Indian farming. … Monsoons have a close linkage with India’s agricultural production. With around 50% of our total food output being summer crops, a delayed monsoon can hit the supply of foodgrains and other farm products such as vegetables and fruits and even impact food inflation.
Why do farmers wait for rain?
Farmers generally wait for the monsoon to start before they begin planting food grains, cotton, soybeans, peanuts and sugarcane. Any deficit in rains during the early part of the season could delay sowing and reduce harvests, even if the monsoon gathers pace later.
How much land of India is not rain dependent?
Unfortunately, such irrigated areas account for only 40% of India’s net sown area. The remaining 60%, which accounts for a substantial part of agricultural output, is rain-dependent.
How does monsoon benefit India?
The monsoon delivers about 70% of India’s annual rainfall and determines the yield of rice, wheat, sugarcane and oilseeds, such as soybeans. … Monsoon rains replenish reservoirs and groundwater, allowing better irrigation and more hydropower output.
How are monsoons beneficial to India?
The monsoon is critical for agriculture in the country since nearly 60% of India’s net arable land lacks irrigation. The monsoon delivers about 70% of India’s annual rainfall and determines the yield of several grains and pulses, including rice, wheat, and sugarcane. … It is also crucial to keep up the rural demand.
Why is rain important?
Rain is a major component of the water cycle and is responsible for depositing most of the fresh water on the Earth. It provides suitable conditions for many types of ecosystems, as well as water for hydroelectric power plants and crop irrigation.
Why do people eagerly wait for Monsoon?
The farmers eagerly wait for the arrival of rainfall. Rainfall provides the water required to set agricultural activities in motion. … The food prices depend upon the agricultural output. It is only through rains in the Monsoon season that water requirements of people are fulfilled.
Why do farmers welcome monsoons?
Good rains during the season result in bountiful crops which further benefit the farmers. A major portion of the country’s crop area is completely dependent on Monsoon rains as they’re not equipped with methods of manual irrigation. Simply speaking, the Indian economy gains due to good Monsoon rains in the country.